Our Sponsor

Sunday, August 29, 2010

"what's your job?"... Jobs & workplaces..

"what's your job?" or in hangul 직업이 뭐예요? [jigeob-i mwo-yeyo?].. so in this entry we'll talk about jobs and workplaces..
jigeob = job and the subject particle -i at the end of the word shows its the subject of the sentence..
mwo = what and we have the -yeyo particle which means am/is/are etc.. we use the particle -ieyo when the word ends with a consonant..so since mwo ends with vowel -ㅝ the particle we use is -yeyo.. these "-yeyo" and "-ieyo" particles are called the copula..

Lets memorize a few more keywords....
I'll wont provide the romanization for this so I hope you'll figure it out your self...

Jobs...
Teacher = 교사
Student = 학생
Doctor = 의사
Chef = 요리사
Accountant = 회계사
Driver = 운전사
Office worker = 회사원
Store assistant = 점원
Engineer = 엔지니어
Actor = 배우
Singer = 가수

Workplaces...
Factory = 공장
Theater = 극장
College/University = 대학교
Store = 가게
Office = 사무실
Hospital = 병원
Company = 회사
Job = 직어
work = 일해요

So when someone ask you "직업이 뭐예요?.. " how do you answer that in korean?..
simple really...

저는 학생이에요. [jeo-neun haksaeng-ieyo]. {I'm a student}..
thats if u are a student.. if u are a doctor then u'd answer..

저는 의사예요. [jeo-neun uisa-yeyo]. {I'm a doctor}..
can you see the difference for the copula when the word ends with either a consonant or a vowel?..
jeo = 'I' + the topic particle '-neun'.. means the topic of the sentence is 'I'..

other phrases that we could learn...
퇴직 했어요. {I'm retired}

직업이 없어요. {I dont have a job}
없어요 = 'dont have'. this is the opposite of 있어요 = have.

집에서 일해요. {I work from home}


To say where you work, use the particle -에서 {from} with verb 일해요 {work}.
example..

저는 의사예요. 병원에서 일해요. [jeo-neun uisa-yeyo. byeongwon-eseo ilhaeyo] {I'm a doctor. I work in a hospital}

No comments: