Our Sponsor

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Read & Speak Korean for Beginners (Book w/Audio CD): The Easiest Way to Communicate Right Away!

Click on the book to look at the sample content of the book


This is the first book I got when I decided to learn the korean language. And I have to say after spending 70+ Malaysian Ringgit on this book, I was not disappointed with it. Although it has only about 90 pages but you still get the idea of how to create simple sentences using korean language. The book came with an audio CD and game cards at the back of it. I finished learning from this book in about 2 weeks. Another point I would like to make is that i used this book and more of a supplementary tool rather than my main source of learning. If you arent super serious about learning korean, then i don't think i'd recommend this because you will only know the bare basics by the end. I did like it, however, for the sample sentences it give- these are very helpful.

I had already learned to read when i got the book, so i think it made the experience of going through the book quite different had i not known how to read already. Which brings me to one of my main points.in my opinion, this book has one major downfall: IT DOES NOT TEACH YOU TO READ. It claims you will be able to read by the end of the book, but I assure you, you won't be able to read just by the romanizations it gives you. If you want this book to be a lot more educating experience, GO LEARN HOW TO READ FIRST, then come and buy this book. SERIOUSLY- LEARNING KOREAN WILL BE SO MUCH EASIER IF YOU LEARN TO READ FIRST. I can't stress this enough, I can't imagine what it would have been like if i had not learned to read before delving into the language. Everything will make so much more sense. Plus, learning how to read Hangeul is really, really easy! :D I mastered it in about a week. But it will take you only a couple of days to have a very good grasp of it.

The CD
I actually kind of liked the cd. I put it onto my iPod and i actually used it with the book. The speakers are native which is a plus because you'll know everything is pronounced correctly and naturally, but they speak very slowly. Everything is sounded out- which i guess is also a good thing if you want it broken down, but won't hear what the language sounds like ntaurally spoken. If you want that, listen to k-pop or watch some k-dramas. They're awesome! And easily accecable.

tHE gAMES
And one last point, I didn't actually play any of the games this book comes with, so I can't give any sort of opinion on those.
So in one sentence i would say this book is good for a younger audience and for someone very new to korean, but already knows how to read, its a good introductory book.

No comments: