Our Sponsor

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

1st post... Introduction to Hangul characters..






A few days ago after writing an entry on my personal blog, I saw this picture as I was surfing Icanhascheezburger.com. And then I started to laugh as I was imagining this three cats just staring at me saying things like,

"Hey you, yeah YOU!!.. you should use some color fonts when typing an entry"..

"Yeah, your entry font just as boring as us three"..

"tho atleast the three of us are cute eh?"...


LOL
So from now on, I'll try my best to make full use of those color tabs above in the editing menu..hoho

Well, anyway like I said in my personal (other) blog.. I've been learning Hangul!!

What is Hangul, you may ask... Hangul is is the native alphabet of the Korean language, as distinguished from the logographic Sino-Korean hanja system. It was created in the mid-fifteenth century, and is now the official script of ...bla bla bla...[read the rest on wiki... ILuvWikipedia]... Basically Hangul is the alphabet of Korean language...

Okay, why I'm learning hangul all of a sudden??.. am I going somewhere??South Korea?? Busan?? Jeju Island?? Lotte World???... the answer is no, no, no.. I'm not going anywhere.. I'm not going to Korea anytime soon.. [but planning to of course hehe].. I'm learning just bcoz I'm curious.. Sometimes curiosity can lead you to many new things in life..



And since I love korean drama & movie so much.. I'd like to watch all k-dramas/movie without even bother to read the subtitle 1st.. just fully concertrate on the dramas & the actions..and also I'm starting to enjoy korean music even more now.. even my phone sms tone is Big bang's Farewell.... hoho.. Remind me to change that later to SNSD's Echo echo echo.... ^_^

So to keep an on-line track of what I learn,I'll put up on this blog on what I've learn so far. Lets together learn 한글 (Hangul)!!. Maybe in the future I will be listing all these refence books and do some sort of a review. But for now I'll just remind myself to remember this basic things...



We'll start with the alphabets....




I've tried remembering each character's style of writing and its sound. the sound is in between "\ \".. its not that hard really to remember those characters. if you've notice for the vowels there are simple and iotized vowels. What is iotized??


well, lets just put it this way..


ㅏ a is a simple vowel whileㅑ ya is its iotated vowels...
ㅓ eo is a simple vowel while ㅕ yeo is its iotated vowel..and etc


Got it? you just add a little stroke to the character and a 'y' sound for the iotated vowels from the simple vowels...


Below pics shows the correct way of writting each characters..its like chinese characters you know, you have a certain way of writing it.. there are other characters besides the vowels and the consonants but I'll just show these first..


"u" or "oo"




"ng" [

the ng sound in doing]

"s"


"r" or "l" [the r sound in road
the l sound in love, girl]

"p' or f" [ the p sound in pop]


"o"


"n"


"m"


"g' or k' "



"eu"



"h"



"g or k"





"eo"



"d or t"



" d' "


"chi"




"b or p"



"ch or j"



Vowels in the korean languages may be attached to the left, right or beneath each other in order to form a word, the following are examples of their use : -

가 = ka 거 = keo 겨 = kyeo
갸 = kya 기 = ki 고 = ko
바 = pa 버 = peo 부 = pu
뵤 = pyo 지 = chi 저 = cheo
즈 = chu 조 = cho 마 = ma
머 = meo 무 = mo 나 = na
너 = neo 이 = i 야 = ya
디 = ti 고 = ko 댜 = tya
요 = yo 오 = o 도 = to
드 = tu 두 = too 그 = ku

When constructing a word, you must add a mixture of consonants and vowels, beginning with the consonant at the beginning of the word. In some cases, there is no need to use a consonant at the beginning in which case ㅇ (null character) is used. eg 이 = i 야 = ya.

A syllable that consists of a consonant and a "vertical vowel" is written with the consonant on the left and the vowel on the right
ㄴ + ㅏ = 나
n + a = na

A syllable that consists of a consonant and a "horizontal vowel" is written with the consonant on top and the vowel underneath:
ㅁ + ㅗ = 모
m + o = mo


If a syllable has a consonant, vowel, and consonant, the final consonant, called patch'im (meaning "supporting floor" in Korean) goes to the bottom -- or floor -- of that syllable.
ㅁ + ㅏ + ㄴ = 만
m + a + n = man





Okay lets try build a word from those characters....


han guel sarang..simply means I love hangul.. : )


Lets build something more interesting!!!


Sooyoung & Yuri... the two trickster in So Nyuh Shi Dae (SNSD)...Luv how both of them always teams up to trick Tiffany on Hangul..

수 + 영 = 수 영
Soo + Yeong = Soo Young

유 + 리= 유 리
Yu + Ri = YuRi

hehe okay maybe that was not as interesting to some..but at least it was interesting to me as a SNSD fan lol.
Okay people...to conclude today learning hangul session..let enjoy the show... how Sooyoung & Yuri trick Tiffany... ;) enjoi


No comments: